Though first declared as a reserve forest in 1879, Kanha National Park was created in 1953.
The original human inhabitants were the aboriginal tribes of the Gonds and the Baigas, which is why the region was known as Gondwana or land of the Gonds.
The history of Kanha National Park is synonymous with the wildlife conservation movement. It is here that Tigers as well the Barasinghas or the Hard Ground Swamp Deers were saved from extinction. Today it’s the only place where one can see the Barasingha.